Mark Hix recipe: Little Christmas crumbles
These make perfect festive party snacks or something to go with coffee at the end of the meal. You can use mincemeat or a combination of mincemeat and Christmas pudding if you need to use it up.
- 20 mini canapé-size tart cases
- 150-200g sweet mincemeat
For the topping
- 20g flour
- 20g hard, unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
- 10g caster sugar
- 4-5 shelled chestnuts, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. For the topping: put the flour and butter into a bowl – rub between your fingers to forge a breadcrumb-like consistency, then stir in the sugar and chestnuts. Finally, fill the tart cases with the mincemeat and spoon on the crumble. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly coloured, and serve.
Life & Style blogs
The Swedes are adding a gender-neutral pronoun to their dictionary
PTSD photo series documents what the disorder is really like – as study reveals suicides of 22 US veterans every day
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
Torrent is not valid bencoding: uTorrent users on proxy hit with ISP block
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
- 5 Zayn Malik quits One Direction: Hundreds of workers request compassionate leave following band member's exit
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...