Mark Hix recipe: Liver tortilla
Serves 6-8, or more
Liver isn't the usual filling for a tortilla – and cooking it nice and pink isn't at all how the locals would do it, but we did and delicious it was too, especially with the tomatillo and guava salsa.
2 x 2-3cm slices of young ox liver or a lamb's liver, trimmed of veins or sinew
The grated zest of 2 limes
2tsp chilli powder
3tsp ground cumin
2tbsp olive oil
1tbsp flaky sea salt
Tortillas and salsa to serve
Score the liver about ½cm deep and 2cm apart on both sides. Rub the spices, oil and salt in on both sides; leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
Preheat a ribbed griddle pan, or barbecue, and cook the liver for about 5 minutes on each side, keeping it nice and pink.
Remove from the pan and leave to rest for 4-5 minutes. Carve the liver into ½cm slices; warm your tortillas, put slices of the liver in the middle and spoon on the salsa.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Baby rescued 1km out to sea after parents forgot about her
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...