Mark Hix recipe: Mixed bean salad
This is a great salad to serve on its own, as a meat or fish garnish or as part of a buffet or even picnic. You can pick and choose which beans or pulses you want to use – it's a good dish to use up odds and ends in your larder before you re-stock.
A selection of dried beans, soaked and cooked separately (chick peas, flageolet beans, black eye beans, green peas, lentils, etc)
4-5 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
1 medium red chilli, trimmed and finely chopped
2-3tbsp chopped parsley
4-5tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix all of the beans, preferably while they are still warm, with the rest of the ingredients and season to taste.
The salad will be at its best after leaving it at room temperature for a couple of hours, giving it the occasional stir.
Life & Style blogs
Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
No, a porn star wasn't tricked into performing a sex act on her brother
A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
Ashley Madison hack: Just three in every 10,000 female accounts on infidelity website are real
Modafinil: the future of neuroenhancement?
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 5 How the NHS is being dismantled in 10 easy steps
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...