Mark Hix recipe: Mixed bean salad
This is a great salad to serve on its own, as a meat or fish garnish or as part of a buffet or even picnic. You can pick and choose which beans or pulses you want to use – it's a good dish to use up odds and ends in your larder before you re-stock.
A selection of dried beans, soaked and cooked separately (chick peas, flageolet beans, black eye beans, green peas, lentils, etc)
4-5 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
1 medium red chilli, trimmed and finely chopped
2-3tbsp chopped parsley
4-5tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix all of the beans, preferably while they are still warm, with the rest of the ingredients and season to taste.
The salad will be at its best after leaving it at room temperature for a couple of hours, giving it the occasional stir.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 If you weren't afraid of flying before last week... you probably are now
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Lauren Goodger calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after sex tape leaks online
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...