Mark Hix recipe: Squash salad
Squashes of various kinds make a great winter starter; you can use one variety or a selection – up to you.
1 butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded
2tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of rocket
2tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
4tbsp pumpkin seed oil
1tbsp cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. With a vegetable peeler, make some shavings from about a quarter of the squash and put them in a bowl of cold water. Cut the rest of the squash into wedges or rough chunks.
Preheat a roasting tray in the oven with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Season the squash and roast them for about 30 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking.
Meanwhile, drain the shaved squash, mix with the vinegar, season and leave for about 30 minutes; then mix in the pumpkin seed oil.
To serve, arrange the shaved and cooked squash in a large bowl or on a large plate or individual plates, then scatter the rocket and seeds over and spoon over the remaining oil and vinegar.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...