Mark Hix recipe: Squash salad
Squashes of various kinds make a great winter starter; you can use one variety or a selection – up to you.
1 butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded
2tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of rocket
2tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
4tbsp pumpkin seed oil
1tbsp cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. With a vegetable peeler, make some shavings from about a quarter of the squash and put them in a bowl of cold water. Cut the rest of the squash into wedges or rough chunks.
Preheat a roasting tray in the oven with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Season the squash and roast them for about 30 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking.
Meanwhile, drain the shaved squash, mix with the vinegar, season and leave for about 30 minutes; then mix in the pumpkin seed oil.
To serve, arrange the shaved and cooked squash in a large bowl or on a large plate or individual plates, then scatter the rocket and seeds over and spoon over the remaining oil and vinegar.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...