Pea shoot and purple basil salad
Sunday 07 June 2009
Both these leaves are in our vegetable gardens now. As simple as this salad sounds, it is sweet, nutty and aniseedy, all at the same time.
Not enough for a course by itself, it is nonetheless a beautiful accompaniment to other dishes, clean and palate-cleansing.
Purple basil has a unique flavour, tasting slightly of fennel, with ragged leaves – very beautiful to behold. Pea shoots have started to become widely available.
2 handfuls of pea shoots, washed very gently and patted dry with a clean dish cloth
1 bunch of purple basil. Unless very dirty, do not bother to wash, because it is extremely delicate
The zest of one lemon
1 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
The juice of half a lemon
2 tbsp mild tasting extra-virgin olive oil
Place the pea shoots and basil into a bowl and add the lemon zest and Parmesan. Season lightly with salt and pepper and squeeze over the lemon juice and olive oil.
Toss together very lightly using your fingertips and serve straight away; the leaves are too delicate to stay dressed for very long.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...
£15000 - £19200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Processing Partner is require...
£34000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist travel agent ba...