Sunday 19 October 2008
250g/8oz caster sugar
600ml/1 pint water
6 very ripe persimmons (otherwise known as cachi or sharon fruit)
150ml/5fl oz double cream
100ml/31/2fl oz sherry, preferably a very dry fino such as Tio Pepe
Put the sugar and water into a sauce pan over a low heat. When the sugar has fully dissolved, bring to the boil, lower the heat slightly and simmer for five minutes until the sugar syrup has a slightly viscous consistency.
Peel the persimmons and whizz them in a blender adding the sugar syrup, a little at a time, then the double cream and the finally the sherry.
Persimmons are best when they are very ripe, nearly “bruised”, and they’re also very sweet. If you find them too sweet, the sorbet will be the same, so add some lemon peel to the sugar syrup.
Finally, pour the sorbet mixture into an ice-cream maker and churn until thickened (approximately 20 minutes), according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Remove and preserve in the freezer. Alternatively, put in a freezer-proof container and freeze, stirring every 20 minutes until set.
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Bahar Mustafa: Goldsmiths Students' Union diversity officer to keep her job after vote of no confidence petition fails
- 5 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...