Plantain crisps with guacamole and salsa
1 plantain, with the skin on, cut into thin slices
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
1 large ripe avocado or two small ones
The juice of half a lime
½tbsp chopped chives
½tbsp crème fraîche
A good pinch of pimenton
For the salsa
1 medium red chilli, finely chopped
½tbsp olive oil
Heat a centimetre or so of the oil in a frying pan and cook the plantain slices for a couple of minutes on each side until crisp, remove from the pan and transfer on to some kitchen paper and scatter with a little salt.
Mash up the avocado with the lime, chives and crème fraîche and season with salt and pimenton.
For the salsa, heat the oil in a pan, cook the chilli for 10 seconds; remove from the heat.
Spoon about a teaspoon of the avocado mixture on to each slice of plantain and sprinkle a little chilli salsa on top.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Does the path to true love really lie in these 36 questions?
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...