Plantain crisps with guacamole and salsa
1 plantain, with the skin on, cut into thin slices
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
1 large ripe avocado or two small ones
The juice of half a lime
½tbsp chopped chives
½tbsp crème fraîche
A good pinch of pimenton
For the salsa
1 medium red chilli, finely chopped
½tbsp olive oil
Heat a centimetre or so of the oil in a frying pan and cook the plantain slices for a couple of minutes on each side until crisp, remove from the pan and transfer on to some kitchen paper and scatter with a little salt.
Mash up the avocado with the lime, chives and crème fraîche and season with salt and pimenton.
For the salsa, heat the oil in a pan, cook the chilli for 10 seconds; remove from the heat.
Spoon about a teaspoon of the avocado mixture on to each slice of plantain and sprinkle a little chilli salsa on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 A daily walk 'can add seven years to your life'
- 2 The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...