Plantain crisps with guacamole and salsa
1 plantain, with the skin on, cut into thin slices
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
1 large ripe avocado or two small ones
The juice of half a lime
½tbsp chopped chives
½tbsp crème fraîche
A good pinch of pimenton
For the salsa
1 medium red chilli, finely chopped
½tbsp olive oil
Heat a centimetre or so of the oil in a frying pan and cook the plantain slices for a couple of minutes on each side until crisp, remove from the pan and transfer on to some kitchen paper and scatter with a little salt.
Mash up the avocado with the lime, chives and crème fraîche and season with salt and pimenton.
For the salsa, heat the oil in a pan, cook the chilli for 10 seconds; remove from the heat.
Spoon about a teaspoon of the avocado mixture on to each slice of plantain and sprinkle a little chilli salsa on top.
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Why has a disease that's only ever killed 2,000 people captivated the darkest side of our imagination?
Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
Watch: Vogue Italia's plus-size models in fetish-inspired lingerie shoot
UK is ready to deal with Ebola outbreak, says Foreign Secretary
Flower beards: The beard frenzy has now gone floral
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...