Quinoa with broccoli, raisins and pine nuts
Serve this hot or cold – it's a take on the classic pasta dish with the same ingredients.
150-200g quinoa, soaked in cold water for a couple of minutes, rinsed and drained
Approx 500ml vegetable stock
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
150g sprouting or normal broccoli, cut into small ½cm dice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g raisins, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
60g pine nuts, lightly toasted
2tbsp chopped parsley
2tbsp chopped chives
3-4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Bring the stock to the boil, add the onion and quinoa, season and simmer for about 5-6 minutes, then add the broccoli and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until tender; the seeds will separate from the germ a little which gives them the lightness.
Drain in a colander then return to the pan, off the heat, with a lid on. If you want to serve it cold just let it cool then stir in the raisins, pine nuts, herbs and olive oil and re-season if necessary and stir in the herbs or scatter on top. For hot, just stir everything together, and serve.
Life & Style blogs
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
BBC journalist Justin Webb talks about his experiences of the advances in preventing heart attacks a...
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Food & Drink
£450 - £500 per annum: Progressive Recruitment: BI Developer (SQL Server 2008,...
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...