Risotto with mascarpone, lemon and prosciutto
Sunday 21 March 2010
This risotto is very creamy and rich with just a hint of sharpness. The prosciutto adds a pleasant, delicate sweetness. It is important that the ham does not cook in any way, so leave it until the very last minute before placing it on top of the rice.
11/2 litres/21/2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
100g/31/2oz unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, peeled, finely chopped
600g/21oz arborio rice
300ml/10fl oz dry white wine
1 unwaxed lemon, juice and zest
2 tbsp mascarpone
50g/2oz unsalted butter
100g/31/2oz Parmesan, grated
One slice of prosciutto per plate
Bring the stock to a simmer in a medium-sized pan. In a separate, low-sided pan, melt the butter over a fairly low heat.
Once the butter has melted, add onion and cook till soft, then add the rice and stir well so it is coated with the butter. Turn up the heat slightly, add the wine and let it evaporate almost completely. Add a ladle of stock, stirring gently.
Once one ladle has been absorbed, add further ladles, ensuring all the time that the rice is just covered by the liquid. Cook for 18-20 minutes, then remove from the heat and taste. It should be soft but not mushy, with a gentle bite.
Add the lemon juice and zest, mascarpone, butter and Parmesan. Add salt and pepper to season and place a lid on the pan.
Allow to sit for two minutes, then lay over the prosciutto just before serving.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...