Roasted onion squash, beetroot, mozzarella and basil oil
Monday 15 June 2009
A special recipe to try today, as part of the Meat-Free Monday campaign.
8 small beetroot
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
5tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion squash
1 dried red chilli
1 small bunch of marjoram
4 balls of buffalo mozzarella
2tbsp of balsamic vinegar
For the basil oil
1 large bunch of basil
60ml/2¼fl oz of extra virgin olive oil
A good pinch of sea salt
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Wash and pat dry the beetroot, place in a roasting tray, season and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat the beetroot. Cover with foil and place in the oven.
Roast for 45 minutes or until the beetroot is tender when pierced with a fork. Remove, allow to cool slightly then slice in half lengthways. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
Slice the onion squash in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and cut each half into quarters. Lay in a baking tray. Crumble over the chilli and marjoram, add some salt and olive oil and roast for 30 minutes, until tender. Remove to cool.
For the basil oil, remove the stalks from the basil and place the leaves with the oil and salt in a blender. Blitz until you have a lovely, sludgy verdant purée.
To assemble, arrange the pumpkin and beetroot on a plate and lay the mozzarella on top. Spoon over the basil oil and drizzle over the balsamic. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...