Salad: Green bean and shallot salad with horseradish
Saturday 21 June 2008
Green beans are a great, simple and easy-to-prepare salad ingredient. You can either use the slimline French beans, bobby beans, runners or a mixture of the three. Green beans and cold roast beef (see the following recipe) are a perfect summer combo and freshly grated horseradish adds a great kick.
250g green beans, topped and tailed
4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
2-3tbsp freshly grated horseradish
For the dressing
1tbsp cider vinegar
4tbsp rapeseed oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the green beans in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes until tender. Meanwhile simmer the shallots with the horseradish in the vinegar and the same amount of water until the liquid has reduced by half. Whisk in the oil and season. Toss the beans in the dressing and season again if necessary.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...