Salmon tail with peas and girolles
The tail of a salmon often ends up either in fish cakes or pies – but rarely in many other dishes. This is a shame, because this particular cut has a great shape on the plate as it is slightly firmer than the rest of the fish.
2 salmon tail fillets weighing about 300g each
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1tbsp olive oil
150g girolles or other wild mushrooms
120g podded weight of peas, cooked
100ml white wine
A handful of pea shoots (optional)
A couple of good knobs of butter
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently cook the girolles, then add the white wine and simmer until reduced by half.
Next, add the peas and the butter and season to taste. Put to one side and keep warm.
Slice the salmon tail fillets down the middle, lengthways.
Season, heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook the salmon for 2-3 minutes on each side, keeping it nice and pink.
Finally, spoon the peas and girolles on to warmed serving plates and place the salmon on top.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...