Savoury spelt porridge
Spelt porridge flakes made into a savoury porridge is a great start to the day. Spelt flakes are more robust than normal porridge oats, and they works very well in a savoury dish such as this.
150g spelt porridge flakes
600-650ml chicken stock
A spoonful of double cream
200g diced bacon pieces or lardons
150g open cup mushrooms, sliced or quartered
A couple of good knobs of butter
Put the spelt and stock in a pan, bring to a simmer and continue simmering gently for 5-6 minutes, stirring every so often.
Remove from the heat, stir in the cream and cover to keep warm. Meanwhile, fry the bacon pieces in a dry pan on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until it begins to colour and crisp and then transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
In the same pan, melt the butter, add the mushrooms, season and cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, drain off any liquid and add the bacon to the pan for 30 seconds or so to reheat.
To serve, spoon the porridge into bowl and spoon the bacon and mushrooms on top.
Life & Style blogs
Three in every four British men will be overweight by 2030, says World Health Organisation
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...