Scrambled eggs on toast with bottarga
Saturday 16 October 2004
I always keep a stick of bottarga in the door of my fridge. This dried roe is a luxury but it lasts for ages and a little goes a long way so it's not really an extravagance. You just grate off what you need and keep the rest for later. You can buy it at delis like Love Saves the Day in Manchester (0161-832 0777), Fortnum & Mason, London W1 (020-7734 8040), and the Rivington Deli, 28-30 Rivington Street, London EC1 (020-7729 7083), and direct from the importer from www.vallebona.co.uk (020-8944 5665).
8 eggs, beaten
60g unsalted butter
4-6tbsp double cream
20-30g bottarga, stick preferably or pre-grated
4 slices of good quality white bread, cut about 1cm thick
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Melt the butter in a pan, add the eggs and season. Stir in the cream and stir on a low heat for 3-5 minutes until the eggs are beginning to cook but remain soft and fluffy. Meanwhile, toast the bread. Spoon the eggs on to the toast and grate the bottarga with a fine grater over the eggs.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Why do we have eyebrows? The social significance of our silent communicators
WhatsApp: How to discover who your best friends are - using a hidden tool within the application
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 4 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 5 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...