Spinach and Parmesan soup with Parmesan croûtons
1 large leek, washed and chopped
1.5ltrs hot vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
60-70g freshly grated Parmesan
For the croûtons
2-3 slices of sourdough or white bread, cut into 1cm cubes, crust on or off
50-60ml olive oil
50g freshly grated Parmesan
Melt the butter in a saucepan; gently cook the leek with a lid on for 2-3 minutes, stirring every so often.
Stir in the flour; gradually add the stock to avoid lumps. Bring to the boil; simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the spinach, bring back to the boil, simmer for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat; blend in a liquidiser with the Parmesan until smooth; season.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the croûtons for a few minutes so they colour evenly. Once golden, remove on to some kitchen paper and scatter over the Parmesan; season. Serve immediately with the croûtons scattered on top.
Life & Style blogs
Google Maps hides image of Android robot urinating on Apple in surprisingly insolent Easter egg
KickassTorrents down: new Isle of Man domain taken offline just hours after launch
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
iJobs Food & Drink
£18750 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Hotel in Chadderton is a popular ch...
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...