Steamed pudding with damsons
Sunday 10 October 2010
This warm light pudding is very definitely comfort food!
300g/10oz damsons, rinsed under cool running water
150g/5oz caster sugar
Enough water to just cover the fruit
Place the damsons, water and sugar into a heavy-based, non-reactive pan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring from time to time, for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the stove and pass through a colander, pressing down with a ladle to ensure that as much liquid as possible comes through. Allow to cool to room temperature.
For the puddings
100g/31/2oz unsalted butter at room temperature, plus a little extra for greasing the moulds
100g/31/2oz caster sugar
2 organic free-range eggs
100g/31/2oz self-raising flour
Finely grated zest of one lemon
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Butter four dariole moulds or small individual pudding basins. Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour from a good height and fold in gently. Finally, stir in the zest. Place a generous spoonful of damson into the base of each mould and spoon the batter over the top. Cover each mould loosely with buttered foil and bake on the middle shelf for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before inverting on to a warm plate. Serve with a dollop of cream or custard.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...