Strawberries and cream
Sunday 24 May 2009
A little Eton mess, but without the meringue. If you prefer a chewier texture, simply crumble a little meringue through the mixture before you serve.
2 tbsp icing sugar
A small pinch of sea salt
The juice of one orange
2 punnets of strawberries, hulled and chopped into 4 pieces
150ml/5fl oz double cream
Place the icing sugar in a bowl. Add the salt and pour in the orange juice, stirring as you go.
Add the chopped strawberries, stir once or twice more and place in the fridge to macerate for half an hour.
Just before you are ready to serve, whip the cream until just thick enough to fall from the spoon and fold through the strawberries.
Serve at once or the strawberries will bleed into the cream, which although it still tastes good, looks less pretty.
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
iJobs Food & Drink
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...