Sweet and sour pork
Saturday 04 December 2010
Everyone loves a bit of sweet and sour pork, especially when it's made with decent pork. I've used Doves Farm gluten free self-raising flour here as it makes a great crispy batter.
About 150g pork neck, cut into 1cm cubes
2tbsp gluten free self-raising flour
Dry cider, to mix
A couple of good pinches of salt
For the sauce and marinade
2tbsp chicken stock
2tsp light soy sauce
1tbsp rice wine vinegar
¼tsp tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
A small piece of red pepper, cut into very fine dice
1 spring onion, finely chopped
Put the pieces of pork in the soy, rice vinegar and sugar and leave to marinade for an hour then drain reserving the liquid and dry the pork on some kitchen paper.
Put the liquid in a saucepan with the chicken stock and tomato paste, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 seconds. Dilute the cornflour in a little water and stir into the sauce, season and simmer for 30 seconds until the sauce is quite thick. Add the pepper and spring onion and remove from the heat.
Meanwhile preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep fat fryer. Mix enough cider with the flour and the salt to form a thick-ish batter. Dip the pieces of pork in and fry in the hot fat, turning them as they are cooking for a few minutes then drain on some kitchen paper. To serve stick a cocktail stick into the pork then dip into the sauce and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...