Tomato and basil tarts
Serves about 10
You need to have good all-butter puff pastry for this recipe, and it's easy to get hold of in the shops.
Buy the largest cherry tomatoes you can find to make these canapés.
150g of butter puff pastry, rolled to about ¼cm thick
5 or 6 large cherry tomatoes
1tbsp tomato purée
A few basil leaves finely chopped or blended with a little olive oil
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Prick the pastry all over with a fork and lay it on a baking tray.
Select a round pastry cutter a little larger than the tomatoes and cut as many discs as you can on the baking tray. Then carefully remove the trimmings, leaving the discs on the tray.
Roll the trimmings up into a ball, and freeze for use another day.
Bake the discs for about 6-7 minutes until they begin to colour, then take the baking tray out of the oven and flip the pastry discs over with a spatula or palette knife and pat them down a bit to prevent them rising.
Cut each cherry tomato into four slices, spread a thin layer of the tomato paste on to the pastry and place the slice of tomato on top. Return to the oven for about 5-6 minutes then spoon a little of the basil on and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...