Tomato and basil tarts
Serves about 10
You need to have good all-butter puff pastry for this recipe, and it's easy to get hold of in the shops.
Buy the largest cherry tomatoes you can find to make these canapés.
150g of butter puff pastry, rolled to about ¼cm thick
5 or 6 large cherry tomatoes
1tbsp tomato purée
A few basil leaves finely chopped or blended with a little olive oil
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Prick the pastry all over with a fork and lay it on a baking tray.
Select a round pastry cutter a little larger than the tomatoes and cut as many discs as you can on the baking tray. Then carefully remove the trimmings, leaving the discs on the tray.
Roll the trimmings up into a ball, and freeze for use another day.
Bake the discs for about 6-7 minutes until they begin to colour, then take the baking tray out of the oven and flip the pastry discs over with a spatula or palette knife and pat them down a bit to prevent them rising.
Cut each cherry tomato into four slices, spread a thin layer of the tomato paste on to the pastry and place the slice of tomato on top. Return to the oven for about 5-6 minutes then spoon a little of the basil on and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
iJobs Food & Drink
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...
£23000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Project Accountant (Part-...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...