Tomato, fennel and Parmesan salad
Saturday 02 July 2011
Raw fennel and tomatoes are a great combination, especially with a hard cheese such as Parmesan or pecorino.
You can serve this as a simple starter or side dish – or as part of an antipasto selection. Try to buy a selection of tomatoes of different varieties and colours.
300-350g ripe mixed tomatoes
1 fennel bulb, quartered, root removed and very thinly sliced with a knife or on a mandolin (reserve any green ferns)
60-80g Parmesan, thinly shaved
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
1tbsp good quality white wine or cider vinegar
4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cut the tomatoes into a mixture of chunks and wedges, mix the vinegar and oil together and toss with the tomatoes, fennel and fennel ferns in a bowl, season and arrange on serving plates, then scatter over the Parmesan.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
iPhone 6 Plus review: more like a small iPad that makes calls - but perfect for some
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...