Tomato, fennel and Parmesan salad
Saturday 02 July 2011
Raw fennel and tomatoes are a great combination, especially with a hard cheese such as Parmesan or pecorino.
You can serve this as a simple starter or side dish – or as part of an antipasto selection. Try to buy a selection of tomatoes of different varieties and colours.
300-350g ripe mixed tomatoes
1 fennel bulb, quartered, root removed and very thinly sliced with a knife or on a mandolin (reserve any green ferns)
60-80g Parmesan, thinly shaved
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
1tbsp good quality white wine or cider vinegar
4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cut the tomatoes into a mixture of chunks and wedges, mix the vinegar and oil together and toss with the tomatoes, fennel and fennel ferns in a bowl, season and arrange on serving plates, then scatter over the Parmesan.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5C could be killed next year, and Apple’s cheap and cheerful line might die with it
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: Best fashion deals -online and on the high-street
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...
£45000 - £52000 per annum + bonus+bens : Investigo: My client, a global leader...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...