Tomato, fennel and Parmesan salad
Saturday 02 July 2011
Raw fennel and tomatoes are a great combination, especially with a hard cheese such as Parmesan or pecorino.
You can serve this as a simple starter or side dish – or as part of an antipasto selection. Try to buy a selection of tomatoes of different varieties and colours.
300-350g ripe mixed tomatoes
1 fennel bulb, quartered, root removed and very thinly sliced with a knife or on a mandolin (reserve any green ferns)
60-80g Parmesan, thinly shaved
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
1tbsp good quality white wine or cider vinegar
4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cut the tomatoes into a mixture of chunks and wedges, mix the vinegar and oil together and toss with the tomatoes, fennel and fennel ferns in a bowl, season and arrange on serving plates, then scatter over the Parmesan.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...