Tuna and green olive pastries
Wednesday 13 October 2010
Makes 8-10 pastries
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 free-range eggs, plus 1 more to bake the pastries
1 x 185g tin tuna in olive oil
20 green Spanish olives, such as Manzanilla, pitted and chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
375g puff pastry
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic over a low heat – don’t let them turn golden, just until they are very soft.
Meanwhile, boil the 2 eggs for 10 minutes in boiling water, add a teaspoon of salt to the water – it makes it easier to peel the eggs. Leave to cool and then dice them finely.
Drain the tuna well and place it into the onion-garlic mixture. Warm it through and then add the chopped egg and the olives.
Preheat the oven 220°C/425°F/ gas 7.
Roll out the pastry until it’s very thin, around 2mm, and cut out eight 15cm circles. Spoon an eighth of the tuna mixture into one half of each circle, making sure you leave the edges clear. Fold the other half of the pastry circle over and stick the edges with a little water. Finish off by pressing the edges together with the prongs of a fork.
Beat the remaining egg and brush the pastries with it. Place the pastries on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Serve with tapenade and a green salad.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...