Turnip and nettle soup
Saturday 08 January 2011
This is slightly unusual; I don't make turnip soup often, but I had a couple of jumbo turnips lying around and thought they'd go well with nettle tops from the hedgerows near my place in Charmouth.
A couple of knobs of butter
The white of 1 leek, chopped and washed
500g turnip, peeled and roughly chopped
500ml vegetable stock
A couple of handfuls of nettle tops, washed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and gently cook the leek and turnip for a few minutes with a lid on and stirring occasionally. Add the milk and vegetable stock, season and bring to the boil.
Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the turnips are tender, then stir in the nettles and remove from the heat.
Blend in a liquidiser until smooth and add a little more stock or milk if it's too thick.
Re-season if necessary; serve immediately. If you're making the soup in advance, cool it down quickly over iced water, otherwise it will lose its vibrant green colour.
Life & Style blogs
Britain's kitchens so filthy that they present a health risk, says new research
Fashion Revolution Day: wear your clothes inside out and ask #whomademyclothes to support worker welfare
The world's first edible garden of cake
KickassTorrents down: new Isle of Man domain taken offline just hours after launch
How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...