Venison with red onion and beetroot relish
I was sent some delicious venison fillets from Donald Russell (donaldrussell.com) before Christmas, which worked out perfectly for my mini dish party. These are the fillets from under the saddle which are also great in salads. You can serve these pre-cooked nice and rare and warm them through in the oven for a few minutes when you are ready to serve them.
300g venison under-fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A little vegetable or corn oil for brushing
For the beetroot relish
2tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
4 juniper berries, chopped
1tsp fresh thyme or oregano leaves
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
250g beetroot, cooked, peeled and cut into rough 1cm dice
To make the relish, gently cook the red onion, thyme and chopped juniper berries in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the balsamic vinegar and beetroot, season and cook for 3-4 minutes with a lid on, stirring every so often. Remove from the heat and keep at room temperature until required.
Meanwhile, heat a heavy frying pan or ribbed griddle and brush with oil. Season the venison fillets and cook on a fairly high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, keeping them nice and rare.
To serve, spoon the beetroot on to small plates, cut the venison into thickish slices and arrange on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Exc...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...