Wild strawberry and Pimm's jelly
Saturday 17 July 2010
This is a good way of using up a small harvest of wild strawberries if you are lucky enough to be growing them in your garden.
If you can't get hold of wild strawberries, then use sliced or quartered normal strawberries instead.
125g caster sugar
A few sprigs of mint
The peel from one-third of a cucumber
The peel and juice from a lemon
The zest from half an orange
4 gelatine leaves
A few borage flowers
100-150g wild strawberries
Put the water, sugar, mint, cucumber, lemon juice and peel, plus the orange zest into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer very gently for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for an hour, then strain through a fine-meshed sieve. Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for about 2-3 minutes until soft, then squeeze out the excess water. Meanwhile, bring 100ml of the strained liquid to the boil, add the gelatine and stir until dissolved. Stir into the rest of the strained liquid with the Pimm's.
Pour half of the liquid into either small savarin moulds or individual pudding basins, then distribute half the wild strawberries and the borage flowers. Place in the fridge to set for about 30-40 minutes. Once set, top up the moulds with the rest of the jelly and strawberries and return to the fridge to set. Serve with ice-cream or whipped Jersey cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...