Technology: Foolproof phones are making a splash
I am a phone loser. I have said it loud and not-so-proud on these pages before. Seven handsets have slipped through my fingers – I swear they're like eels – this past two years alone. Lost, smashed, stolen, left unattended on an bus... the list goes on.
My mum blames my small-pocketed skinny jeans; I blame a busy life. And my insurance company just sighs and makes me fill in Bible-sized forms.
Thanks to this lack of luck with mobiles, two new phones unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas drew me like filings to a magnet. Sony's Xperia Z handset doesn't just have a 5in HD display, 13 mega-pixel camera and NFC chip, it can also be dropped down the loo – and left there – and will still come out working.
At the other end of the spectrum is a mobile made by Spare-One. As its name suggests it is a "spare or emergency" phone, which runs for 10 hours off a single AA battery, which makes it ideal for use in disaster zones, on holiday or indeed taking to Glastonbury, so you don't lose your £400 smartphone (hangs head in shame).
Still not convinced either are tough or simple or cheap enough for you? Check out JCB's Sitemaster which claims to be dust-, water- and even boot-proof. Now that's a phone I can do business with.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# .NET...
£30 - £32 per hour + free parking: PCR Recruitment Limited: World's Leading Cl...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: PCR Recruitment Limited: Server Side Dev...