Questionnaire: Are you gender typical?
Monday 22 September 2008
Of course the differences between the sexes are interesting (and sexy). But think for a moment about a beautiful Bangkok ladyboy compared to a 19-stone rugby prop forward. Or contrast a female shot-putter with that skeletal girl on the catwalk. The differences within each sex are equally interesting.
Some Greek philosophers and Carl Gustav Jung believed that every psyche contained both male and female components in varying proportions. Recent evidence supports the idea of psychological gender as a spectrum, and that your place on the spectrum is not necessarily related to your genetic or physical gender. So, forgetting your outer biology and chromosomes for a moment, where do you belong on the behavioural chart? Even if we use oversimplified categories from popular science, are you more a Man from Venus or less a Woman from Mars? Tick either A or B to indicate which of the following most closely reflects your preference:
1. A. Sex and the City
B. Top Gear
2. A. Football
3. A. History documentary
B. Human interest documentary
4. A. Colour supplement
B. Foreign news section
5. A. Go shopping
B. Wash your car
6. A. Camping
7. A. DIY
B. Get a professional in
8. A. Jane Austen
B. H Rider Haggard
9. A. Handkerchief
B. Packet of tissues
10. A. Chapped lips
11. A. Bath
12. A. Lager
B. Gin and tonic
13. A. I can spend hours shopping
B. I like to get in and out with a minimum of fuss
14. A. I need to find the exact right pattern and colour for my curtains
B. I prefer blinds
15. A. I like to cuddle after morning sex
B. I like to jump straight in the shower
16. A. I worry about getting my hair wet
B. I wear a hat
17. A. It takes me about five minutes to get ready in the morning
B. It takes me 45 minutes to get ready in the morning
18. A. I can find my keys in in less than five seconds
B. I have to hunt around to ind my keys
19.. A. I moisturise my whole body
B. I moisturise my face
20. A. If I found a dead mouse in my kitchen I'd dispose of it myself
B. I'd ask someone else to get rid of it
Life & Style blogs
This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
Tinder Plus: premium service launches, charging much more for those over 28
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Mother's Day 2015: When is it – and how did it first come about?
Google Plus might be dead, as ‘Streams’ and ‘Photos’ take its place
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + 30 days holiday: Ashdown Group: Finance Manager - ...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: 3rd Line Support Engineer / Network ...
£26000 - £33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Web Developer is required to ...