Questionnaire: Are you gender typical?
Monday 22 September 2008
Of course the differences between the sexes are interesting (and sexy). But think for a moment about a beautiful Bangkok ladyboy compared to a 19-stone rugby prop forward. Or contrast a female shot-putter with that skeletal girl on the catwalk. The differences within each sex are equally interesting.
Some Greek philosophers and Carl Gustav Jung believed that every psyche contained both male and female components in varying proportions. Recent evidence supports the idea of psychological gender as a spectrum, and that your place on the spectrum is not necessarily related to your genetic or physical gender. So, forgetting your outer biology and chromosomes for a moment, where do you belong on the behavioural chart? Even if we use oversimplified categories from popular science, are you more a Man from Venus or less a Woman from Mars? Tick either A or B to indicate which of the following most closely reflects your preference:
1. A. Sex and the City
B. Top Gear
2. A. Football
3. A. History documentary
B. Human interest documentary
4. A. Colour supplement
B. Foreign news section
5. A. Go shopping
B. Wash your car
6. A. Camping
7. A. DIY
B. Get a professional in
8. A. Jane Austen
B. H Rider Haggard
9. A. Handkerchief
B. Packet of tissues
10. A. Chapped lips
11. A. Bath
12. A. Lager
B. Gin and tonic
13. A. I can spend hours shopping
B. I like to get in and out with a minimum of fuss
14. A. I need to find the exact right pattern and colour for my curtains
B. I prefer blinds
15. A. I like to cuddle after morning sex
B. I like to jump straight in the shower
16. A. I worry about getting my hair wet
B. I wear a hat
17. A. It takes me about five minutes to get ready in the morning
B. It takes me 45 minutes to get ready in the morning
18. A. I can find my keys in in less than five seconds
B. I have to hunt around to ind my keys
19.. A. I moisturise my whole body
B. I moisturise my face
20. A. If I found a dead mouse in my kitchen I'd dispose of it myself
B. I'd ask someone else to get rid of it
EastEnders Christmas specials are known for their shouty, over-the-top soap drama but tonight the show has done itself proud thanks to Danny Dyer.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 4 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 5 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...