Prepare to get burnt if you don't pack the right cover

There's no protection with an E111. You need an EHIC and a travel policy for your holiday

The summer holidays are here and foreign shores beckon. But while you're busy picking out bargain flights along with the beachwear and sun-block, make sure you put the same energy into your holiday cover.

If you simply reach for your old E111 form and the "free" travel insurance on your current account at the bank, you could come a cropper: one no longer exists and the other is often less than comprehensive.

More than two-thirds of Britons have no idea that the E111 is no longer valid and was replaced, on 1 January this year, by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Phased in by the Department of Health from August 2005, the card is now available to all British travellers and provides free or reduced-cost emergency medical treatment in all European Union countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

It is valid for three to five years and covers any treatment you may need during a trip, such as the cost of medicines or hospital attention for a sprained wrist. The more serious and complicated your injury, the more likely it is that you will have to make some financial contribution yourself.

And unlike the E111, which covered the whole family, every family member must now hold their own EHIC card.

Some travel insurers won't pay out on a claim if you don't hold one, warns Richard Mason at price-comparison service "Even basic medical treatment in mainland Europe does not come cheap, so this replacement card could save you a lot of unexpected financial pain."

The EHIC provides access to state-provided medical assistance only, and people will be treated on the same basis as an "insured" person living in the country they are visiting.

That said, with the EHIC, you may not be covered for all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK, such as painkilling drugs, and you may have to make a contribution to the cost of a period in hospital.

You can obtain the card by visiting, phoning 0845 606 2030 or by posting a form available from post offices.

There is a common misconception that if you hold an EHIC card, this eliminates the need to take out any extra cover. To dispel this, the Department of Health is now urging holidaymakers to take out travel insurance for visits to all countries - regardless of whether they are covered by the EHIC.

"As well as offering much more comprehensive cover for medical treatment [such as the cost of flying you home if you suffer a serious injury], travel insurance protects you financially for lost or stolen possessions, holiday cancellation, personal liability and a range of other costly eventualities," says Mr Mason.

At the same time, travel insurance won't pay out on routine treatments and so does not negate the need for an EHIC; the two should be carried in tandem.

The golden rule with this type of insurance still holds: don't buy it from a travel agent as part of a package. Cover sold this way is often expensive and, warns new research from the consumer body Which?, may be sold without the right questions being asked. For example, customers with pre-existing medical conditions, or ones who will be doing dangerous sports, may find their claims are turned down because of policy exclusions that weren't highlighted at the outset.

Since banks and insurers are regulated by the Financial Services Authority, the City watchdog, people sold an unsuitable travel policy by these companies can go to the Financial Ombudsman Service for redress. At present, this is not the case with travel agents.

Always check that your travel policy is right for your trip, and shop around on price. "Some insurers will even waive your excess if you tell them you hold an EHIC," Mr Mason adds.

Whatever you do, don't join the ranks of the 2.5 million Britons who, reports online insurer, travelled without insurance last year - the medical bills could be daunting.

Many people ignore travel policies because they think they have adequate cover elsewhere - on their home insurance, current account or credit card.

But Robin Reames of Swiftcover warns that household policies do not always cover medical expenses while abroad; won't pay out for a cancelled trip; and don't always cover loss or theft of personal possessions.

"Even with an 'all risks' level of cover on a household policy - where it is possible to claim for items that are lost, stolen or damaged abroad - this often affects the no-claims discount."

The cover provided by banks, he adds, can be limited, covering medical expenses only. And while some credit cards now offer "free" travel insurance, customers usually have to pay a card fee elsewhere for these additional services.

David Moyes and Louis van Gaal
New Zealand fly-half Aaron Cruden pictured in The Zookeeper's Son on a late-night drinking session
Liam Payne has attacked the media for reporting his tweet of support to Willie Robertson and the subsequent backlash from fans
peopleBut One Direction star insists he is not homophobic
Arts and Entertainment
A bit rich: Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey
tvSeries 5 opening episode attracts lowest ratings since drama began
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Jacqueline Bisset has claimed that young women today are obsessed with being 'hot', rather than 'charming', 'romantic' or 'beautiful'
Greg Dyke insists he will not resign as Football Association chairman after receiving a watch worth more than £16,000 but has called for an end to the culture of gifts being given to football officials
Life and Style
A new app has been launched that enables people to have a cuddle from a stranger
techNew app offers 'PG alternative' to dating services like Tinder
Arts and Entertainment
Jake Quickenden sings his heart out in his second audition
tvX Factor: How did the Jakes - and Charlie Martinez - fare?
Finacial products from our partners
Property search
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Money & Business

    Quantitative Risk Manager

    Up to £80000: Saxton Leigh: My client, a large commodities broker, is looking ...

    COO / Chief Operating Officer

    £80 - 100k + Bonus: Guru Careers: A COO / Chief Operating Officer is needed to...

    Senior BA - Motor and Home Insurance

    £400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...

    Market Risk & Control Manager

    Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...

    Day In a Page

    A roller-coaster tale from the 'voice of a generation'

    Not That Kind of Girl:

    A roller-coaster tale from 'voice of a generation' Lena Dunham
    London is not bedlam or a cradle of vice. In fact it, as much as anywhere, deserves independence

    London is not bedlam or a cradle of vice

    In fact it, as much as anywhere, deserves independence
    Vivienne Westwood 'didn’t want' relationship with Malcolm McLaren

    Vivienne Westwood 'didn’t want' relationship with McLaren

    Designer 'felt pressured' into going out with Sex Pistols manager
    Jourdan Dunn: Model mother

    Model mother

    Jordan Dunn became one of the best-paid models in the world
    Apple still coolest brand – despite U2 PR disaster

    Apple still the coolest brand

    Despite PR disaster of free U2 album
    Scottish referendum: The Yes vote was the love that dared speak its name, but it was not to be

    Despite the result, this is the end of the status quo

    Boyd Tonkin on the fall-out from the Scottish referendum
    Manolo Blahnik: The high priest of heels talks flats, Englishness, and why he loves Mary Beard

    Manolo Blahnik: Flats, Englishness, and Mary Beard

    The shoe designer who has been dubbed 'the patron saint of the stiletto'
    The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written

    Scrambled eggs and LSD

    Behind The Beatles' lyrics - thanks to Hunter Davis's original manuscript copies
    'Normcore' fashion: Blending in is the new standing out in latest catwalk non-trend

    'Normcore': Blending in is the new standing out

    Just when fashion was in grave danger of running out of trends, it only went and invented the non-trend. Rebecca Gonsalves investigates
    Dance’s new leading ladies fight back: How female vocalists are now writing their own hits

    New leading ladies of dance fight back

    How female vocalists are now writing their own hits
    Mystery of the Ground Zero wedding photo

    A shot in the dark

    Mystery of the wedding photo from Ground Zero
    His life, the universe and everything

    His life, the universe and everything

    New biography sheds light on comic genius of Douglas Adams
    Save us from small screen superheroes

    Save us from small screen superheroes

    Shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D are little more than marketing tools
    Reach for the skies

    Reach for the skies

    From pools to football pitches, rooftop living is looking up
    These are the 12 best hotel spas in the UK

    12 best hotel spas in the UK

    Some hotels go all out on facilities; others stand out for the sheer quality of treatments