Ian Burrell: The natural home for film? Radio 5 Live’s 'Kermode & Mayo'
How could something as visual as film end up being most effectively championed by a show that primarily exists in audio, let alone one that goes out on a Friday lunchtime?
Somehow Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo have managed to do that with Radio 5 Live’s Kermode & Mayo which has become the most important broadcast outlet for movie buffs. The 585,000 average audience who tune in on Fridays is only half of it. The programme picks up 241,000 extra listeners on podcast and a further 230,000 via its YouTube channel, which is where the show turns visual.
The 106,000 followers of the show’s @wittertainment Twitter account are testimony to the importance of social media in spreading the fame of the show, which is made by independent production company Somethin’ Else (which also did the online coverage of the Brits and helped generate four million tweets, the most-ever for a non-sports show).
Hopes raised for treatment of severe amnesia after scientists retrieve lost memory – using light
Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
Poorest part of London is wealthier than the richest parts of Northern Ireland and Wales
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Rapid growth has seen a number ...
£20 - 28k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Graduate Software Develop...
£16000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: High quality, dedicated Delegat...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...