Ian Burrell: The natural home for film? Radio 5 Live’s 'Kermode & Mayo'
How could something as visual as film end up being most effectively championed by a show that primarily exists in audio, let alone one that goes out on a Friday lunchtime?
Somehow Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo have managed to do that with Radio 5 Live’s Kermode & Mayo which has become the most important broadcast outlet for movie buffs. The 585,000 average audience who tune in on Fridays is only half of it. The programme picks up 241,000 extra listeners on podcast and a further 230,000 via its YouTube channel, which is where the show turns visual.
The 106,000 followers of the show’s @wittertainment Twitter account are testimony to the importance of social media in spreading the fame of the show, which is made by independent production company Somethin’ Else (which also did the online coverage of the Brits and helped generate four million tweets, the most-ever for a non-sports show).
Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
Man who was struck and killed by lightning in Brecon Beacons 'was carrying a selfie stick'
Greece debt crisis as it happened: EU chiefs at loggerheads hours before Alexis Tsipras’s last ditch deal proposals
Bakery sends 'horrific' version of Frozen-themed birthday cake to unsuspecting customer
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A full-service agency based in ...
£12500 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A subscriptions and marketing a...
£15000 - £22200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious candidate is requi...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A sub-editor is required to joi...