Briefly: Rex Nettleford
Tuesday 23 February 2010
Rex Nettleford, who died in Washington D.C. on 2 February aged 76, was a Jamaican scholar and choreographer. Nettleford, a Rhodes scholar, co-founded the National Dance Theatre Company a month after Jamaica gained independence from Britain. He led the organisation for almost 50 years.
Nettleford, who was born in the rural Trelawny parish in February 1933, had long called for positive portrayals of Jamaica's bl ack majority. His 1969 book Mirror Mirror examined the status of black Jamaicans nearly 10 years after the island became independent.
Nettleford was vice chancellor emeritus of the University of the West Indies from 1997 to 2004 and served as cultural adviser to three prime ministers including the present incumbent Bruce Golding, who described him as, "a quintessential Caribbean man, the professor, writer, dancer, manager, orator, critic and mentor."
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations
£60000 - £75000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Consultant (Fina...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider in investment managemen...
£600 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: AVS, JVS Openlink Endur Developer JVS, ...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Exciting opp...