Diary: Best to avoid the scrum, Gavin
Tuesday 14 December 2010
Never afraid to embrace the big issues of the day, High Street Ken sprang into action on behalf of his old mate Gavin Henson, after the occasional rugby player announced he was once again ready for romance.
Fresh from his efforts on Strictly Come Dancing, the Welshman admitted that love had been thin on the ground since his split from the ex-angelic Charlotte Church. Luckily, this coincided with my being emailed Wales' Sexiest Rugby Wags – Past and Present, which I suspected could at least be an initial port of call.
On closer inspection, however, I was forced to conclude this was one list Gav should probably avoid – what with all of them currently being attached to his Wales teammates. Apart from Charlotte of course, who still came an encouraging second.
* Having spent last Friday night in a local hostelry ridiculing Shane Warne for "wasting his time constantly bothering Liz Hurley on Twitter," subsequent revelations that they they are in fact an item confirmed the feeling that High Street Ken's instincts for a celebrity scoop remain as sharp as ever.
Still, "Warney's" surprisingly successful wooing of one of our foremost English roses could at least provide advantageous publicity to one of the erstwhile Test spinner's employers. The Australian has long been the face of a hair restorer firm after fears for his own thinning barnet began to escalate back in 2005. Under the slogan "Advanced Hair, Yeah, Yeah", the retired bowler has been proudly championing the said product ever since – despite the occasional brush with advertising watchdogs.
* Meanwhile, it's disappointing to note that Boris Johnson's younger brother Jo, these days the Tory MP for Orpington, has found himself the victim of an unfortunate piece of tittle-tattle over in cyberspace. Yesterday it was being claimed that on seeing the Speaker's fragrant wife Sally Bercow "strut by" in the Commons, young Johnson appeared distracted, gazing at her, and I quote, "lustfully". I'm sure he'll be calling to thank me for taking the time to nip this particularly ludicrous piece of "news" in the bud here and now. Should such gossip have got out of hand, Mr Bercow might have felt the need to box his ears!
* News of an online campaign to earn national treasure Sir Cliff Richard an unlikely Christmas No 1 this month. Fans are being urged to download en masse his single "Little Town" in time for the festive charts. I have my fears: when I explained the "downloading" bit to one Auntie – an ardent Cliff fan of many years – she suddenly appeared to look blank.
* Just when I was beginning to fret about that special Christmas gift, the following invitation arrives. "You are invited to an exclusive dinner and champagne reception with Michael Winner at The Belvedere in Holland Park," I'm informed by The Times. As well as Michael's after-dinner speech, I'm assured that "guests will receive signed copies of two of his books". What's more, I get all this for just £150. Sold!
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
From rainforests and reefs to beaches and boat trips
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
Latest in News
Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
North Korea: First Kim Jong-un orders execution of uncle - now it emerges that victim's wife was involved in decision to execute him
Humans are not smarter than animals - we just don't understand them
Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- 1 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 2 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 3 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 4 Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- < Previous
- Next >
£600 - £750 per day: Cornwallis Elt : SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER- HR- ORACLE- ASS...
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...