Pandora: David Irving turns tour guide
Wednesday 05 May 2010
He's done jailbird, and he's done author. Now, it appears that the ever-sinister David Irving is attempting life as a tour guide. The discredited historian, who once denied that Auschwitz existed to murder Jews, is offering punters the chance to take a guided tour of "Hitler's Headquarters and other historical sites". For $2,900 (£1,900), says a brochure for the trip, tourists will be given a tour of wartime headquarters, including the notorious "Wolf's Lair" in what is now Poland, and a visit to Treblinka death camp. Whether anyone will take the tour remains to be seen; Irving declined to tell
Pandora of any interest. Even more curious is Irving's decision to use a quote from Mr Justice Gray's ruling at the Irving vs Lipstadt trial in order to sell the idea. Mr Justice Gray ruled that Irving had "manipulated historical evidence"; Irving, though, cites a rather more positive version of the ruling, quoting Mr Justice Gray on his website as claiming that his "knowledge of World War Two is unparalleled".
Cherie: no Tories allowed
Overheard at the Mailcoach, a Swindon gay bar where Cherie Blair arrived to campaign for the local candidate Ann Snelgrove: Mrs Blair discussing her children's romantic restrictions.
"With their boyfriends and girlfriends, all my children know they can bring home whoever they like," she told fellow activists. "But if they brought home a Tory supporter, that would be it!" Naturally.
* Cliff Richard isn't taking any chances when it comes to shoring up his pension. The aging balladeer is offering the more devoted among his fans the chance to celebrate his birthday by buying a bottle of sparkling rosé from his Portuguese winery. A spokesman claims they have already received several pre-orders. Whodunnit?
* Mutiny in Hampstead, where the right-on lawyer Philippe Sands, a Matrix Chambers colleague of Cherie Blair, has written to neighbours imploring them to vote Lib Dem. Not everyone agrees. Alongside Sands' posters trumpeting Liberal candidate Ed Fordham sit several supporting Labour's candidate, Glenda Jackson. Sands' 15-year-old son is, apparently, a fan.
Will Clegg be a bestseller?
Cleggmania has, it appears, hit the publishing world. Conservative blogger Iain Dale's publishing company, BiteBack, is said to be looking for an author for a biography of the Lib Dem leader and it sounds like they're far from alone. "Anyone who could get a book out by Christmas would get reasonable sales," says our man at the printers. "Plus with euro royals, international bankers, and a market barrowboy for ancestors, it's a good story."
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
Stephen Hawking's wife Jane Wilde on their marriage breakdown: 'The family were left behind'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Putin critic may have been murdered by Islamic extremists, says president-led committee
British are sexually uptight, dirty and drink too much – according to Spanish book
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
White and gold or blue and black – what colour is the dress? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Have you been doing a brilliant job in an admi...
£26,498 - £31,556: Surrey County Council: We are looking for an outgoing, conf...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you an innovative, senior H...
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our client, a very well respect...