A Scotland Yard probe into suspected acts of terror in Syria has led to four arrests on home soil, with a 27-year-old man and 26-year-old woman the latest suspects to be detained.
The pair were arrested in Essex on Wednesday 18 September on suspicion of involvement in “the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.”
Police said they have also seized ammunition.
Earlier this week, on Monday 16 September, Scotland Yard arrested two British men, aged 22 and 29, apprehending the men in Dover after they crossed the channel from France.
The two men, understood to be of Pakistani heritage, are now being questioned in London.
Police also said they had searched properties in east London and Lancashire as part of the investigation but that no arrests had been made at these addresses.
Sir Jonathan Evans, a former director-general of the MI5, earlier this year warned of a growing al-Qa’ida threat from parts of Syria.
He also said that “a small number of British would-be jihadis” were heading to the Middle East “to seek training and opportunities for militant activity”.