New Year 2014: Almost 100 arrests in London

The number of arrests in the capital has risen since last year

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Almost 100 people were arrested on New Year’s in London as scores of people gathered to celebrate the start of 2014 in the UK capital.

Thousands of revellers lined the banks of the river Thames and its surrounding areas to witness multi-sensory firework displays, featuring clouds of strawberry mist and edible banana confetti.

The Metropolitan Police said that despite a small rise in arrests in London, up from 77 last year, the force did not have to deal with any “major issues” as the majority of people who celebrated in the capital’s damp weather did so responsibly. 

Scotland Yard confirmed that 96 people were detained overnight, including 22 people for being drunk and disorderly, and 22 for allegedly committing assault. Eight more people were arrested in relation to sexual offences, and six in connection with drugs.

“Visitors were not put off by the threat of wind and rain and the viewing areas filled up quicker than ever before,” said Chief Inspector Robyn Williams.

“Officers worked hard, alongside stewards, to keep people safe during the event and ensure that everyone who came into central London was able to make their way home at the end of the night. Crowds were good-natured and there were no major issues reported to police."

He added that the clean-up operation in London was underway to “ bring the area back to normality in time for the New Year's Day parade”.

There were also arrests in other parts of the UK.

A 17-year-old boy was detained in Hartlepool, County Durham, after a 31-year-old man died in hospital following an incident at a house where the man sustained stab wounds.

In Maidstone, Kent, a 17-year-old boy was killed in the early hours of Wednesday morning after being hit by a car while walking home along a carriageway near a petrol station.

The unnamed boy from Rochester in Kent, was hit by a white Skoda Rapid at about 3.30am and suffered fatal injuries. Kent police said his family had been informed.