Teenagers steal puppy, feed it drugs, burn it, break its neck and leave dog for dead on rubbish tip

The culprits were under the infuence of drugs when they carried out the attack 

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A puppy survived after being stolen from his home, fed drugs, beaten and burned before being left for dead on a rubbish tip.

Chunky, the Chihuahua crossbreed puppy, was found in Margate by a passer-by the next evening.

Investigators said the dog had been kicked, punched and abused for several hours before being discovered.

The abuse was uncovered on 23 February, when Chunky was under one year old.

RSPCA inspector Caroline Doe said: “This was the most disturbing case I have dealt with – by an absolute mile.

“Chunky was found with a broken leg and neck, and with burns all over his face and eyes. He must have suffered horrendously for hours as the senseless torture took place for the amusement of these boys.

“These youths admitted feeding him drugs, and kicking and punching him, and wringing and breaking his neck before dumping him. They also said they set fire to his face and eyes after lighting a deodorant aerosol can.

“What was perhaps even worse was the fact Chunky suffered for days after he was dumped - literally left for dead on his own to wander next to a fast road.

“The whole thing sends shivers down my spine. The defendants may have been young and confessed to being under the influence of drugs but the cruelty they inflicted on this poor dog was extreme, barbaric and inexcusable."

Chunky was reunited with his owners and has since physically recovered from his ordeal.

However, the RSPCA say they think Chunky will now always be timid after the “barbaric” treatment he endured.

Chunky after the attack, however the RSPCA think he will always be a timid dog after the attack

Ms Doe added: “It is a miracle he survived. I will never forget how terrified and depressed he was when I first saw him. The injuries were so severe that despite the fantastic veterinary care and medication he was on, the medication was unable to numb all of the pain, and he suffered for at least six days according to veterinary experts.

“Thankfully he has now been restored to health and returned to his loving owners, though I imagine the owners will never quite be able to come to terms with what was senseless and needlessly inflicted on their beautiful family pet.”

Awe-inspiring recovery of a dog turning to stone from mange

Four youths, who cannot be named or legal reasons, admitted cruelly ill-treating the animal in a way which they knew would cause him to suffer unnecessarily at a hearing last month at Folkestone Youth Court.

Three of the teenagers, one age 16 and two 15, admitted to torturing the dog and were given 12-month referral orders.

One paid £1,000 in fines, while the other two paid £500 each.

The Telegraph reported that the fourth youth, also 16, pleaded guilty to the same charges and was given a referral order. His father had to pay £5,800.

All four have received a five-year ban from owning animals.