Suspected migrant found dead in back of lorry on M20 motorway in Kent

Kent Police say unidentified man pronounced dead at the scene

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A man thought to be a migrant has been found dead in the back of a HGV in Kent. 

Emergency services were called to the A20 Airport Cage in Sellindge, near Folkestone, at around 8.30am on Monday morning. 

The body of the man – who has yet to be identified but is believed to have travelled to the UK from France – was found after the lorry pulled up at the service station. 

Both the police and South East Coast Ambulance service were called but the man was pronounced dead at the scene. 

The cause of death is currently being investigated. 

A police spokesman said: "At 8.29am, Kent Police were called to an incident concerning a lorry on the A20 at Sellindge, near Folkestone.

"Officers and South East Coast Ambulance Service attended and a man in the rear of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene.

"It is believed the lorry had travelled from France and inquiries are ongoing to identify the man and ascertain the cause of death."

The lorry was being operated by Iberian transport firm KLOG.

A company spokesman said: "I have only been told bits and bobs but cannot say anything else until I speak to the driver over the telephone.

"We are aware of the incident in England and you can say we are investigating what happened."

If the man is a refugee attempting to enter the country from France it will bring the death toll of migrants trying to escape camps in the Calais area up to 15 so far this year.

It comes just a week after an Eritrean refugee died and another was injured in a road accident involving a British lorry driver in Calais.

Around 50 people were trying to slow UK bound traffic on the A16 motorway by placing obstructions in the road and climbing onto HGVs.

A French court has confirmed the destruction of the Calais camp can begin after a charity lost its bid to delay the closure.

croydon-calais-migrants-3.jpg
Fourteen migrant children from the 'Jungle Camp' in Calais are reunited with relatives (Getty)

Authorities in Lille turned down a emergency request arguing the country was not ready to relocate the camp’s residents. 

Following an agreement between the Home Office and the French authorities to begin transporting child refugees with ties to the UK,14 teenagers arrived in the country on Monday morning.

The boys, aged between 14 and 17, were reunited with their families in Croydon, south London.

Additional reporting by PA

Comments