One man dead and another in hospital after boat capsized in Bideford Bar estuary
The man believed to be in his 30s was pronounced dead at the scene.
One man died and another was hospitalised after a boat capsized in a river estuary, according to police.
Officers were called to the scene where a pleasure boat had overturned at Bideford Bar in North Devon at 11.33am on Friday.
Paramedics and the Coastguard also attended the incident.
A man, believed to be in his 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene. Officers are currently working to contact his next-of-kin, a spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said.
The spokesman added the other man had “minor injuries” and was taken to hospital in Exeter.
Two dogs were also recovered, but one died.
Swansea Coastguard watch officer Marc Lancey said the men were not wearing lifejackets.
He added: “The area is a known hazard locally and widely (but) the sea was quite calm with light winds.”
Appledore lifeboat was launched as well as an RAF search and rescue helicopter. Westward Ho! Coastguard assisted the rescue effort after a nearby boat raised the alarm.
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ed Miliband's 'north London set' must be demolished to save Labour, say critics
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...