The top ten: Best British place names
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 14 July 2013
This week's top 10 was suggested by Citizen Sane, one of the great assumed identities of the internet, which allows people to be both anonymous and completely traceable. Once Alex Massie got involved, I realised we could have done the top 50 place names in Orkney alone, but had to limit its contribution to a single entry.
1. Splott In Cardiff. With thanks to Dave Collins.
2. Pity Me County Durham – Ben Stanley.
3. Bat & Ball A railway station in Sevenoaks. Thanks to Citizen Sane for that.
4. Bufflers Holt Buckinghamshire. Sophie Hannah, the author, says she loved it so much, "I relocated a character in my new novel so she could live there".
5. Warninglid West Sussex. Thanks to Parimal Kumar.
6. Fingringhoe Essex. (Gavin Murdock)
7. Grimness Orkney. Thanks to Alex Massie. Orkney also has Riff of Wasbister, Banks of Runabout and Rotten Gutter.
8. No Place Also County Durham. Thanks to Dan Jackson.
9. Ventongimps A hamlet in Cornwall, nominated by Carolyn.
10. Snodland Also in Kent. Where Snods come from. (Citizen Sane)
Next week: Awful rhymes in pop songs.
Coming soon: Words that Ought to be Used More Often. Send your suggestions by 23 July, as well as ideas for any future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
£25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established media firm based in Surrey is ...
£40000 - £470000 per annum + bonus: Ashdown Group: Java Developer / J2EE Devel...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£30000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small technology business ...