The Top Ten: Elegant variations
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 13 July 2014
I think it was Lloyd Bracey who started this game of inverting or altering clichés to make them fresh again (a cliché originally being a stencil). We started with a 'yes-brainer', which was his, and Will Brett's 'might-read', which is something between a must-read and a 'tl;dr': 'too long, didn't read'.
1. Near fetched Entirely plausible. Nominated by Adam Huntley.
2. Thinking inside the box Consistently reliable methodology. Again from Adam Huntley.
3. A shoo-out Suggested by Neal Baker.
4. Auto-incorrect. Courtesy of Guido Fawkes.
5. A foregone introduction From Andy Cowper.
6. If at first you don't succeed, try two more times so that your failure is statistically significant Sam Freedman.
7. Rare sense Also from Andy Cowper.
8. In empty flow That man Andy Cowper again.
9. That's a taken From Brian Spanner.
10. A flawed storm
Next week: MPs who are related to other MPs
Coming soon: Misfired idioms, such as 'a bit of a wet fish' or 'cheap at half the price'. Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 3 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks busy Dublin road
- 5 'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
'Gene drive': Scientists sound alarm over supercharged GM organisms which could spread in the wild and cause environmental disasters
Edward Heath 'child sex abuse' allegation: Investigation to be held into Wiltshire police handling of alleged claim in the 1990s
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke
A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality
£14000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is very proud of t...
£75000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Head of Sales position is offered on...
£20,781 to £24,057 per annum: East15 Acting School: The post involves general ...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a temporary position wo...