The Top Ten: Elegant variations
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 13 July 2014
I think it was Lloyd Bracey who started this game of inverting or altering clichés to make them fresh again (a cliché originally being a stencil). We started with a 'yes-brainer', which was his, and Will Brett's 'might-read', which is something between a must-read and a 'tl;dr': 'too long, didn't read'.
1. Near fetched Entirely plausible. Nominated by Adam Huntley.
2. Thinking inside the box Consistently reliable methodology. Again from Adam Huntley.
3. A shoo-out Suggested by Neal Baker.
4. Auto-incorrect. Courtesy of Guido Fawkes.
5. A foregone introduction From Andy Cowper.
6. If at first you don't succeed, try two more times so that your failure is statistically significant Sam Freedman.
7. Rare sense Also from Andy Cowper.
8. In empty flow That man Andy Cowper again.
9. That's a taken From Brian Spanner.
10. A flawed storm
Next week: MPs who are related to other MPs
Coming soon: Misfired idioms, such as 'a bit of a wet fish' or 'cheap at half the price'. Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
£50 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and i...
£50 - £65 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS2 Supply Teacher r...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Teacher required,...