The top ten: Tautologies
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 19 January 2014
There is a pub on Borough High Street, just south of London Bridge, called The Barrowboy and Banker, which ought to be the secret HQ of the internet campaign called Tautologywatch, run by Amol Rajan, editor of The Independent. To curry favour with him, I offer this list.
1. Null and void Via Fiona Sturges.
2. 'Moments in Time' Oliver Kamm. Title of the BBC's review of last year.
3. Free gift From Ellie Cumbo.
4. Pre-planned And forward planning, says Matthew Redgrave.
5. Work colleague From Edmund W.
6. Safe haven Nominated by James Clasper.
7. Advance warning Nominated by my colleague Archie Bland. And advance notice.
8. Past history Thanks, Tom Freeman.
9. Loose change Thanks to Simon Trevor-Wright.
10. Deliberately targeted From Lloyd Bracey, who also nominates "mutual consent".
Next week: Most interesting politicians.
Coming soon: Spoonerisms (well- boiled icicle, and so on). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
Justin Bieber posts Instagram photo of Orlando Bloom crying after Ibiza fight 'over Miranda Kerr'
Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...