The top ten: Tautologies
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 19 January 2014
There is a pub on Borough High Street, just south of London Bridge, called The Barrowboy and Banker, which ought to be the secret HQ of the internet campaign called Tautologywatch, run by Amol Rajan, editor of The Independent. To curry favour with him, I offer this list.
1. Null and void Via Fiona Sturges.
2. 'Moments in Time' Oliver Kamm. Title of the BBC's review of last year.
3. Free gift From Ellie Cumbo.
4. Pre-planned And forward planning, says Matthew Redgrave.
5. Work colleague From Edmund W.
6. Safe haven Nominated by James Clasper.
7. Advance warning Nominated by my colleague Archie Bland. And advance notice.
8. Past history Thanks, Tom Freeman.
9. Loose change Thanks to Simon Trevor-Wright.
10. Deliberately targeted From Lloyd Bracey, who also nominates "mutual consent".
Next week: Most interesting politicians.
Coming soon: Spoonerisms (well- boiled icicle, and so on). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 MH370: 'Putin ordered plane to be flown to Kazakhstan space port,' conspiracy theory claims
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin, says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
White and gold or blue and black – what colour is the dress? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...