Isis threatens New York with 'new video' featuring Times Square

The release of the video sparked confusion and anxiety

New York City police have said they are aware of a newly released Isis video that suggests that the city is a potential target of attacks such as those in Paris last week, but that there were no current or specific threats.

Local media had reported that Isis had issued the threat in a video that appeared to contain footage included in a music recording released earlier this year. Many online commentators believed that CNN, which was the first outlet to report the threat, was incorrect in saying the video was new.

The channel said the video also appeared to show someone bearing explosives.

On Friday evening, New York Police Department issued a statement that appeared to suggest the threat was indeed new, even if the video released included some old footage.

What do we know about the Paris attackers?

"While some of the video footage is not new, the video reaffirms the message that New York City remains a top terrorist target,” Stephen Davis, a Deputy NYPD Commissioner, said in a statement. 

“While there is no current or specific threat to the city at this time, we will remain at a heightened state of vigilance.”

The US had been on a heightened sense of anxiety since the last weeks attacks in Paris and officials said security had been stepped up. 

The video shows shots of the city, including Times Square. That footage, though, is not new. It appeared in an Isis video that was released on April 14.

Congressman Peter King told ABC said he believed the threat was "psychological warfare", and that it had been out to intimidate. He said there was no current, credible threats against Washington DC or New York.