The monks in the mist – and the festival of the moon
Mist hung low over the jungle surrounding the Borobudur temple in Indonesia as thousands of the country's Buddhists celebrated the annual Vesak festival.
Known to some as the "Buddha's birthday", the holy day also marks the enlightenment and death of Gautama Buddha, on whose teachings the religion was founded, and is observed under a full moon by Buddhists across Asia.
In Indonesia, pilgrims walk between three temples, from Mendut to Pawon and, finally, Borobudur, where they line up in preparation to receive alms from members of the public. Indonesia is the world's largest muslim nation; just two per cent of the population is recorded as Buddhist, but in a country of 240 million people, the religion has sizeable representation.
Borobudur, at Magelang in central Indonesia, is the country's most popular tourist attraction. It was built in the 9th century before being abandoned in the 14th century following the shift towards Islam. It was reclaimed from the jungle and restored when Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, then the British ruler of Java, was lead to the temple in 1814.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...