50 tons of silver lost during war salvaged
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Thursday 19 July 2012
Nearly 50 tons of silver lost during the Second World War when a British merchant vessel sank three miles below the Atlantic has been brought back to the surface, it was announced yesterday.
An American salvage company has spent six weeks recovering the bullion from the cargo holds of the SS Gairsoppa, a 126 metre-long cargo ship sunk by a German U-boat in February 1941 with the loss of more than 80 crew, most of them from the Indian sub-continent.
Odyssey Marine, which recently lost a legal dispute with the Spanish government over nearly 600,000 coins recovered from a colonial-era wreck, said the recovered silver, worth about £24m, represented only 20 per cent of the bars that may remain on the British ship.
The recovery operation, taking place some 300 miles off the Irish coast, is the largest and deepest for precious metal lost in a shipwreck and involves the use of a remote-controlled robot to cut open the Gairsoppa's cargo holds and individually remove each silver bar.
Greg Stemm, chief executive of the Florida-based company, said: "With the shipwreck lying approximately three miles below the surface of the North Atlantic, this was a complex operation."
The 1,200 bars of silver recovered so far are being held at a undisclosed location in Britain and the remainder of the bullion is expected to be brought to the surface before the end of the year.
Under the terms of a deal struck with the Department for Transport, Odyssey will be entitled to 80 per cent of the value of the silver from the Gairsoppa once it has recovered its own costs. The remaining 20 per cent of value of the cargo, which could amount to £150m, will go to the Treasury.
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Robin Thicke named sexist of the year 2013
PAs cleared of fraud - and Nigella Lawson left reeling at 'ridiculous sideshow' of drug allegations
Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
Paul Walker death caused by speed alone
Apollo Theatre collapse: Scores injured after ceiling collapses in London's West End
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’ says UK evangelist
Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
Anachronistic and iniquitous, grammar schools are a blot on the British education system
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: This Big 4 giant is seeking ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Do you have personal tax exp...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £30000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita ...