The 10 Best gardens to visit
Samuel Muston is deputy editor & food editor of The Independent Magazine. He writes a weekly food column – On the Menu – which appears in The Independent on Friday and i on Monday. And also travel and general features. Follow him on Instagram at @smuston
Wednesday 21 March 2012
1. Chartwell, Kent
Adult: £6.50, child: £3.20, nationaltrust.org.uk
Winston Churchill's place of inspiration and rest is now in the hands of the National Trust
2. Coughton Court, Warwickshire
Adult: £6.50, child: £3.25, coughtoncourt.co.uk
Forget traditional mazes, this has a labyrinth made from roses.
3. Castle Howard, York
Adult: £8.50, child: £8, castlehoward.co.uk
Be Charles and Sebastian for a day at the location for the 1980's adaptation of Brideshead Revisited.
4. Inveraray Castle Gardens, Argyll
Adult: £10, child: £6.50, inveraray-castle.com
Inveraray's gardens are a vault of horticultural history.
5. Arley Hall Gardens, Cheshire
Adult: £10, child: £4 arleyhallandgardens.com
This formal garden has been one of England's finest for 250 years.
6. Alnwick Gardens, Northumberland
Adult: £11, child: £9, alnwickgarden.com
The gardens here stood in for Hogwarts in the Harry Potter films.
7. Bodnant Gardens, Snowdonia
Adult: £8.34, child: £4.07, nationaltrust.org.uk
There are terraced lawns, a romantic waterfall and great views.
8. Antrim Castle Gardens, Antrim
Antrim Castle burnt down in 1922, but the gardens remain, with a variety of original "rooms" to explore.
9. Biddulph Grange, Stoke on Trent
Adult: £6.68, child: £3.36, nationaltrust.org.uk
A high Victorian garden featuring many continents in miniature.
10. Hidcote, Gloucestershire
Adult: £9.05, child: £4.54, nationaltrust.org.uk
As fine an example of an Arts and Crafts garden as you're likely to see. It is split into different "rooms".
Life & Style blogs
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality
- 1 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 2 Edward Heath 'child sex abuse' allegation: Investigation to be held into Wiltshire police handling of alleged claim in the 1990s
- 3 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 4 Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology
- 5 Michael B Jordan and Kate Mara handle excruciatingly awkward and offensive interview questions like pros
£20k plus sales linked bonus. : Guru Careers: We are seeking a Copywriter to j...
£17000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has bec...
Up to £26k DOE: Guru Careers: A Junior / Mid-Level 3D Creative Designer is nee...
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You'll be joining a truly talen...