Taking the plunge on houseboat living

With the cost of property soaring, canal life is looking more attractive than ever for some

Britain's canals and rivers have long had a magnetic attraction for people looking for a slower pace of life, but it seems that growing numbers of tenants and homeowners struggling against rising prices are turning to a life along the waterways.

"In the past few years the appeal of living this sort of lifestyle has really taken off. Houseboats can offer the same space as a flat and, with the peaceful, waterside location, are often an interesting option for many buyers," says Chris Early of estate agent Kinleigh Folkard & Hayward. "Often, they are considerably cheaper than a flat of a similar size and, with the wildlife and tranquil outlook, are gaining in popularity – especially among families and young professionals."

About 10,000 people are living along the 100-plus miles of canals in London alone, but the number of moorings has not kept up with demand. A lack of supply has caused "hotspots of overcrowding", according to a recent London Assembly report that called for the Canal and River Trust (CRT) to increase the number of moorings.

But if you can find a water berth, what do you need to know before you give up on bricks and mortar? The first choice is whether to have a permanent mooring, or to fire up and cruise the waterways.

Julia Jacks from the Residential Boat Owners' Association (RBOA) says: "A boat with an engine, designed for cruising, on which you live full-time, is referred to as a residential boat or live-aboard. This could be any boat – a converted fishing boat, Dutch barge, retired lifeboat, narrowboat, ex-oil tanker – you name it, the variety is unlimited".

If you want the security of an entirely fixed abode, there are also static boats custom-built for full-time living in one place. On the Thames, where there is more space, these houseboats can be giant structures built on rectangular hulls or pontoons, but you tend to find smaller, flat-like boats on other waterways. A standpipe connects water, mains electricity, telephone and broadband. Bottled gas is delivered.

Like a car, prices vary depending on the condition and size of the boat, from a few hundred pounds to many thousands. However, prices for permanently moored houseboats will reflect local property values and that of the mooring, whether it is leased or owned. You can find boats for sale in trade magazines or newspapers such as Waterways World and Towpath Talk, at boat shows and boat yards, or on dedicated sites such as Apollo Duck, Premier Houseboats and Boats & Outboards.

As a continuous cruiser, you will need to be licensed by the waterway authority wherever you go. For most of the waterways this is the CRT, but there are independent owners and for the Thames it is the Environment Agency or the Port of London Authority, while the Broads Authority presides over East Anglia. You will need a Boat Safety Certificate (costing about £150) and insurance (which could vary from £100 for a small river cruiser to about £500). There will be restrictions on how long you can moor in one place – for example, on Canal and River Trust waters you can stay for up to 14 days. If you're staying put, it can be surprisingly expensive. Like a leasehold property, the moorings are either bought for a set amount of years or as a rolling licence. The cost will depend on the size of the boat, the facilities and the area, with London generally the most expensive. Costs could start from £1,000, rising to £12,000 a year in London.

One sought-after mooring spot in London is the Wenlock Basin, off the Regent's Canal near the Angel, Islington, and Emma Fildes of boutique estate agency Fyfe Mcdade has sold a number of narrowboats in this private basin. "Mooring fees are around £1,350 per quarter, which includes maintenance of the basin and use of its facilities, including security, communal areas and refuse collection," she says. "When you consider that the going rate for flats in the area [is] £500,000 upwards, it's an effective way to enjoy waterside living and a central location on a budget."

You often find moorings for sale with a vessel, and the value of a houseboat often reflects the number of years remaining. For example, Riverhomes is selling a five-year mooring near Kew Bridge that comes with a one-bedroom narrowboat for £75,000. At the other end of the scale, it has a £1.85m four-bedroom houseboat with a 45-year mooring near Putney which has its own underground parking space and access to a swimming pool and gym. Owners with a permanent mooring also have to factor in council tax (albeit in the cheapest band), running costs and boat maintenance.

High street banks steer clear of lending for a canal boat so many people buy in cash, although HSBC and RBS have divisions that handle lending for engineless houseboats. If your bank won't bite, there are specialist marine finance firms such as RoyScot Larch and Collidge and Partners, but rates are higher and the borrowing term is shorter than for standard residential mortgages – you typically need a 25 per cent deposit and to pay the loan back over 10 or 15 years.

The message from everyone who has had a taste of canal boat life is that you must be committed to it. You have even less protection than a normal tenant because a houseboat is not legally regarded as a home, so you have no specific safeguards from bad landlords and unfair leases.

Discover more property articles at Homes and Property
Arts and Entertainment
Gregg Wallace in Summer's Supermarket Secrets
tv All of this year's 15 contestants have now been named
The giant banner displayed by Legia Warsaw supporters last night
football Polish side was ejected from Champions League
Arts and Entertainment
Could we see Iain back in the Bake Off tent next week?
tv Contestant teased Newsnight viewers on potential reappearance
i100(and it's got nothing to do with the Great British Bake Off)
news It's not just the world that's a mess at the moment...
Angelina Jolie with her father Jon Voight
peopleAsked whether he was upset not to be invited, he responded by saying he was busy with the Emmy Awards
Bill Kerr has died aged 92
peopleBill Kerr appeared in Hancock’s Half Hour and later worked alongside Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers
Life and Style
A picture taken on January 12, 2011 shows sex shops at the Paris district of Pigalle.
footballPremiership preview: All the talking points ahead of this weekend's matches
Keira Knightley poses topless for a special September The Photographer's issue of Interview Magazine, out now
The Ukip leader has consistently refused to be drawn on where he would mount an attempt to secure a parliamentary seat
voicesNigel Farage: Those who predicted we would lose momentum heading into the 2015 election are going to have to think again
Arts and Entertainment
Cara Delevingne made her acting debut in Anna Karenina in 2012
film Cara Delevingne 'in talks' to star in Zoolander sequel
Mario Balotelli pictured in his Liverpool shirt for the first time
Life and Style
Property search
Property search
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
iJobs Job Widget
iJobs General

Java Developer - 1 year contract

£350 - £400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Cent...

Junior Analyst - Graduate - 6 Month fixed term contract

£17000 - £20000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...

SAS Business Analyst - Credit Risk - Retail Banking

£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: SAS Business Analyst, London, Banking, Credit Ris...

Project Manager - Pensions

£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...

Day In a Page

Ukraine crisis: The phoney war is over as Russian troops and armour pour across the border

The phoney war is over

Russian troops and armour pour into Ukraine
Potatoes could be off the menu as crop pests threaten UK

Potatoes could be off the menu as crop pests threaten UK

The world’s entire food system is under attack - and Britain is most at risk, according to a new study
Gangnam smile: why the Chinese are flocking to South Korea to buy a new face

Gangnam smile: why the Chinese are flocking to South Korea to buy a new face

Seoul's plastic surgery industry is booming thanks to the popularity of the K-Pop look
From Mozart to Orson Welles: Creative geniuses who peaked too soon

Creative geniuses who peaked too soon

After the death of Sandy Wilson, 90, who wrote his only hit musical in his twenties, John Walsh wonders what it's like to peak too soon and go on to live a life more ordinary
Caught in the crossfire of a cyber Cold War

Caught in the crossfire of a cyber Cold War

Fears are mounting that Vladimir Putin has instructed hackers to target banks like JP Morgan
Salomé's feminine wiles have inspired writers, painters and musicians for 2,000 years

Salomé: A head for seduction

Salomé's feminine wiles have inspired writers, painters and musicians for 2,000 years. Now audiences can meet the Biblical femme fatale in two new stage and screen projects
From Bram Stoker to Stanley Kubrick, the British Library's latest exhibition celebrates all things Gothic

British Library celebrates all things Gothic

Forthcoming exhibition Terror and Wonder: The Gothic Imagination will be the UK's largest ever celebration of Gothic literature
The Hard Rock Café's owners are embroiled in a bitter legal dispute - but is the restaurant chain worth fighting for?

Is the Hard Rock Café worth fighting for?

The restaurant chain's owners are currently embroiled in a bitter legal dispute
Caribbean cuisine is becoming increasingly popular in the UK ... and there's more to it than jerk chicken at carnival

In search of Caribbean soul food

Caribbean cuisine is becoming increasingly popular in the UK ... and there's more to it than jerk chicken at carnival
11 best face powders

11 best face powders

Sweep away shiny skin with our pick of the best pressed and loose powder bases
England vs Norway: Roy Hodgson's hands tied by exploding top flight

Roy Hodgson's hands tied by exploding top flight

Lack of Englishmen at leading Premier League clubs leaves manager hamstrung
Angel Di Maria and Cristiano Ronaldo: A tale of two Manchester United No 7s

Di Maria and Ronaldo: A tale of two Manchester United No 7s

They both inherited the iconic shirt at Old Trafford, but the £59.7m new boy is joining a club in a very different state
Israel-Gaza conflict: No victory for Israel despite weeks of death and devastation

Robert Fisk: No victory for Israel despite weeks of devastation

Palestinians have won: they are still in Gaza, and Hamas is still there
Mary Beard writes character reference for Twitter troll who called her a 'slut'

Unlikely friends: Mary Beard and the troll who called her a ‘filthy old slut’

The Cambridge University classicist even wrote the student a character reference
America’s new apartheid: Prosperous white districts are choosing to break away from black cities and go it alone

America’s new apartheid

Prosperous white districts are choosing to break away from black cities and go it alone