World Cup 2014: Police investigating 'disabled' fans standing out of wheelchairs
The Brazil fans were photographed in the opening match against Croatia
Friday 20 June 2014
Brazilian police are investigating pictures that appear to show fans jumping out of wheelchairs during the opening game of the World Cup.
A woman standing in front of a chair wearing Brazilian colours seems to have no trouble gesticulating at the pitch during Brazil's match against Croatia on 12 June.
The combination of a shortage of public tickets offered by Fifa and a large number of unsold concession tickets for disabled people, pensioners and students has led to many being missold, according to the Tabloide BR newspaper.
Touts have been selling disabled tickets outside stadiums, meaning that some football fans who turned to the black market may be using wheelchairs to cover their tracks.
Selling tickets for over their face value is a crime punishable by up to four years in prison in Brazil and some have already been seen on sale for more than £1,000.
Officers at the Itaquera police department in São Paulo are using 22 CCTV images and 10 more taken by other fans in the stadium to investigate.
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Manchester United transfer news: Daley Blind will only move for 'top price'
Arsenal vs Besiktas match report: Alexis Sanchez scores only goal as Gunners survive night of nerves to qualify for Champions League
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does