At £37m, Juan Mata has become Manchester United's most expensive ever player - but does that mean he will be a success?
From Wayne Rooney to Juan Sebastian Veron - United's expensive buys have endured mixed fortunes
Juan Mata has joined from Chelsea in a £37m deal and with it become Manchester United's most expensive ever signing.
The Spaniard has proved he can mix it in the Premier League, winning Chelsea's player of the year award for the last two years running.
However, he didn't fit easily into Jose Mourinho's system at Stamford Bridge which has led to the Special One sanctioning his sale.
So will things work out better for the 25-year-old at Old Trafford?
Here, we take a look at Manchester United's most expensive signings and analyse if they were money well spent - or expensive mistakes.
Manchester United's most expensive signings... were they worth it?
Latest in Sport
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Licence fee: What is the BBC charge – and how will the changes affect you?
- 3 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'