Sue Barker has stepped down as host of the BBC's Sports Personality Of The Year ceremony after 19 years.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Friday 17 July 2009
Wednesday 01 April 2009
Sunday 22 February 2009
While on a training trip to Addis Ababa in November Mo Farah was invited to the home of Haile Gebrselassie and found himself doing a traditional national dance in the company of the great Ethiopian distance runner.
Tuesday 17 February 2009
Campaigners acting with the backing of celebrities and the tacit support of the Royal family today lost a High Court battle over the partial closure of Windsor Fire Station.
Saturday 27 December 2008
Saturday 27 December 2008
For Lisa Dobriskey the Beijing Olympics might have been one of those breaking points which so regularly invite a young athlete to step back from the challenge that has consumed so much of their lives. She had had the opportunity to reach out for the kind of achievement that made Kelly Holmes a Dame and Rebecca Adlington the instant darling of the British sports public.
Monday 08 December 2008
Monday 13 October 2008
Sunday 17 August 2008
Arise Dame Rebecca Adlington. The cry is sure to come soon, and loud, from the British public, as the bookmakers already make the East Midlands teen-ager favourite for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.
Friday 08 August 2008
* In a move as inevitable as drugs in sport (apparently), disgraced sprinter Dwain Chambers is to write his autobiography for Libros International. The deal was done by his agent, sports memorabilia merchant Simon Dent, and sources expect Chambers to "name names", with serious ramifications for the world of sport. In a synopsis (with "My Way" as his epigraph), Chambers writes about being "victimised", promises to give "my solution to rid athletics of drugs overnight" and offers tales of his womanising: "I also tell how I slept with the sister of an England footballer and a gold medal-winning athlete from America. And read about that one and only disaster date with Kelly Holmes and what I really think of her." Who said chivalry in sport was dead?
Saturday 02 August 2008
Friday 04 July 2008
Tuesday 01 July 2008
Monday 30 June 2008
The first rule that any Lawn Tennis Association chief executive should know is that for 50 weeks, nobody gives a monkeys what you do. The second rule is that the other two weeks are set aside to give you an annual kicking.
Sunday 29 June 2008
Why was Daley Thompson not among the six British Olympians nominated to appear on the new National Lottery scratchcard to raise cash for 2012? Overlooking the back-to-back Olympic champion was even described by Seb Coe as "astonishing". Coe is there alongside Kelly Holmes, Steve Redgrave, Jonathan Edwards, Duncan Goodhew and Sally Gunnell, all said to have emerged as the top six in a poll conducted on behalf of Camelot. Yet the omission of Thompson – voted Britain's greatest all-round sportsman of the 20th Century and, in another poll only last week, as the nation's favourite Olympian – seems a snub of Olympian proportions. The choice of Goodhew, who won his gold with no Americans present, is surely controversial. Goodhew has been an ardent supporter of the Lottery whereas Thompson has been critical of the way some of the money is distributed. And we know from personal experience how touchy the Lottery bods can be about this. OK, so it is only a bit of fun and no doubt all quite above board, but if it was one of those dodgy TV phone-ins we'd be demanding an inquiry.
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men