Extravagant events with celebrities as the stars of the show are out of place in a recession, says Arifa Akbar
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Sunday 20 June 1999
Thursday 12 November 1998
Saturday 11 April 1998
Sunday 23 November 1997
Saturday 15 November 1997
Tuesday 11 November 1997
Marie is 25 and white; Paula is 24 and black. Which one do they stop for?: Marie Woolf is a journalist on The Independent; her friend Paula is a post-graduate film student. One night Paula tried to hail a cab for her with conspicuous lack of success. Was this bad luck or what? They decided to find out. Marie Woolf reports.
Thursday 23 June 1994
THEATRE / Love among the ruins: Paul Taylor on family horrors in Joseph Pintauro's Snow Orchard at the Gate, Notting Hill
Monday 01 March 1993
Sunday 02 August 1992
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Thought you'd seen it all after the Jeremy Paxman interview?
Greatest mystery about the hit BBC1 show is how it continues to be made at all, writes Grace Dent
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo