A Parliamentary investigation has begun into the risk of hospitals spreading the human form of “mad cow” disease as a result of failing to detect the infective agent responsible for the variant form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) in tissue donations and on surgical instruments.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Tuesday 02 September 2008
Dietary advice, contrary to the impression that its givers and its takers strive to make, is not rocket science. Nor is it particularly modern or new. Vronsky, Tolstoy explained in Anna Karenina at the turn of the 20th century, maintained the weight demanded of him by his regiment by steering clear of sugary and starchy foods. It worked for him, and there is no reason why it should not for everybody.
Tuesday 22 July 2008
Wednesday 16 July 2008
Tuesday 27 May 2008
Sunday 18 May 2008
Tuesday 29 April 2008
Tuesday 29 April 2008
The dream of producing spider silk in industrial quantities has come a step closer to reality after scientists managed to mimic the way silk protein is spun naturally into fibres that are potentially stronger than steel.
Friday 25 April 2008
They are related, but thankfully we do not have to concern ourselves with pontificating over which came first; one had a pretty clear 68-million-year head start.
Saturday 19 April 2008
Scientists have used a laser to control a female fly's mind and make it sing "love songs" which are only ever sung by males. The ground-breaking research, which suggests the difference between the sexes may be much subtler than thought, was conducted using radical new technology which allows scientists to turn individual brain cells on and off by shining a light on them.
Saturday 22 April 2006
Friday 16 September 2005
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 John McAfee's $100 'anti-NSA' device: 'this is coming and cannot be stopped'
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Is Facebook making us forget? Study shows that taking pictures ruin memories
- 5 Australia incest case: Filthy and severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding