700 flights to be cancelled over Germany: Eurocontrol
Wednesday 25 May 2011
European air traffic controllers said they expect 700 flights to be cancelled over Germany on Wednesday, almost one in 10 compared to normal daily traffic.
Brussels-based Eurocontrol said the disruption caused by an ash cloud that drifted from an Icelandic volcano across Britain before moving across the North Sea was focused on Germany.
"We are now expecting 700 flights to be cancelled today over Germany out of the normal 8,000 in Germany and 29,000 across Europe," Eurocontrol said in their regular Twitter update.
German Transport Minister Peter Ramsauer told public television ARD the fallout from the Grimsvoetn volcano eruption on Saturday was expected to improve later in the day.
Major German hubs in Frankfurt and Munich have not been affected.
Poland and Scandinavian countries are also expected to be affected.
peopleContenders for Time magazine's Person of the Year are a mixture of the good, the bad and the holy
newsAs the world remembers Mandela the hero, the prison where he spent 27 years seems all the more brutal
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
danceUnder Tamara Rojo's inspired direction, it seems possible that it could challenge the dominance of the Royal Ballet. We meet some established names and rising stars
travelDiscover Uruguay's jet-set beach resort, an Atlantic enclave with plenty of art and culture to explore on the side
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >